Friday, February 25, 2011

Should I return to school?

This topic has been weighing on my mind for almost a year. Adam and I have had countless conversations about it, and I'm still not sure which way to go. But, I have decided to do something toward this new goal.

The background behind this question-
About a year ago, Adam and I decided that we don't have a very good plan b in place. (Financially or educationally) After all, the oil field isn't the safest job out there, and it's not the most reliable either. Even though his company has pretty good safety ratings, accidents still can happen and we need to do better about planning for unforeseen events.
My degree is in Computer Networking and Information Technology. Lets face it, there's not many options in Clinton, Oklahoma to put that over paid piece of paper to good use. On top of that, that said paper is almost 10 years old, and the technology since then is so much advanced that I would have to get trained to get up to speed for any company anyway. Oh, and did I mention that I HATE what my degree is in? Anyone that knows me, knows that I love to be around people, not cold empty computers.
So, with all that said, if something were to happen and I need to provide for my family, I would have no education to back me up for a job in a little bitty town in Oklahoma. I'd be back to cleaning houses, babysitting, or working for minimum wage at a dead end job with my kids in daycare. Now, there is nothing wrong with those things. I know lots of women that do it. But, it's not what I want for me and our family.

The possible plan b-
As said above, anyone that knows me, knows that I love to be around people. My heart is in teaching and kids. I couldn't tell you the number of times in my life that I've been told that I need to be a teacher. There is certainly a reason that I teach in RS. I LOVE IT!
A couple of months ago, Adam and I started talking about a daycare. It would be something that I could do and take the kids with me. And, it's something that would do really well here. So, I've had this thought in the back of my mind for a while now. Adam and I have talked about it several times, but, I haven't really done anything about it.
Then, about a month ago, I had a dream. I know it sounds crazy! It was one of the most detailed, vivid dreams I've ever had in my life. To this day, I remember every detail. I never remember my dreams. I woke up that morning and was blown away! It lined out everything: the building, who was supposed to help me, how the rooms were set up, the toys and centers, the meal plan, the daily schedule, everything spelled out on how to set up a child care center. The next night, I had the dream again, only the second one was even more detailed than the first. WOW!
So, the next day, I set to work.

Options on getting there-
That next week, I set to work and did a lot of investigating. I researched everything I could find on Oklahoma Childcare Centers. Everything seemed pretty good, until I called about the education requirements. Bummer. I either have to be CDA certified or have some college credits in Early Childhood Development. Plus, 2 courses of labs or 3 years experience at a daycare/preschool.
Option 1:
I can start an in-home daycare for the next three year and take an on-line CDA class for a relatively small financial investment. Pros for this is it's a lot cheaper and I could take the class at my own pace, while making a little money that would more than cover the financial investment. Cons - having to do it from home. I would be surrounded by the daycare 24/7. Another con would be the three years to get the experience requirement.
Option 2:
I can take three classes at SWOSU to get the college credit requirements. I would take one over the summer and the other two this fall. The pros to this are a much shorter time before opening up a center. Obvious con would be the bigger financial sacrifice. And, the having to make arrangements for someone to watch the kids while taking the classes.

So, there it is. Feel free to give your thoughts and/or advice. I'll post the plan of attack as soon as we figure that out!

6 comments:

  1. That would be really tough to have to figure out, which option to take, I mean. With little kiddos I would probably pick option 1. When my little sister was in daycare the lady had a split level home and the daycare was upstairs and she actually lived downstairs. I know those homes aren't popular here in Oklahoma, but you could maybe try and find a place that would allow you to at least close off some of the daycare so you wouldn't have to be surrounded by it all the time, you know? That's my thoughts, but you have to do what's best for your family. And truthfully, you might be able to get some really great grants for going back to school so it may not be as big of a financial sacrifice as you may think??? Hope you figure it out. Best thing is prayer, I always say :) The Lord has amazing ways of helping us work though things that seem incredibly difficult. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber try to finds some grants or financial aid!! You might even call the school and see if they have a daycare for the kiddos while you are there also look into small business loans there might be more help than you think. Try CE Classes as well. Also are there any smaller colleges around they are soooo much cheaper(I've forgotten.)~kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. From personal experience, I watch another baby during the week and it can be very overwhelming at times. It is usually my own kids who cry while I care for the need of the one I babysit. It takes a lot out of my home, so to have an actual daycare in your home would take a lot of space commitment. What would happen if you or your kids get sick? The baby I watch gave Holland RSV! I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it just sounds like plan b is better. Get the courses done quick and set up an actual center outside the home. You also said you wanted to have something to fall back on if needed but it sounds like you are going to do this ASAP. Which one is it? Man, sorry this sounds so negative....I want you to be happy, whatever that is. You have been a great friend to me!!

    Leighanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been around other people's children for all my life, I can offer you this input...you need a break from the darlings. If you bring it all home with you, it can eat you up. So, if you have a day care in your home, it might be hard to clear your mind of the day's events. I think I would go with option 2 and get 'er done. Kids, and their parents, would be fortunate to have you heading a day care.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely option 2. There is money out there for grants and financial aid! Its just a matter of finding it...blah. It would pay off though! There is a reason why they say "don't take home to work and don't take work home".... However you are already doing what you should be! Weighing out your options. Discussing your pros and cons. Getting opinions from others to find hidden pros and cons. You are very smart. Which ever way you go, I think you will do good and be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would look more into option 2 then in option one. That dream sounds amazing. I am happy for you. 3 classes instead of 3 years of homecare sounds better.

    ReplyDelete