Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fruits and Veggies

A large part of the food that I have always eaten has been fruits and veggies. I remember growing up and there always being two veggies with dinner and always an assortment of fruit on the counter and in the fridge. And it wasn't just the apples and bananas, we had all different kinds. I can also remember almost always having a garden growing up, with lots of ready-to-eat produce just calling my name.

Somehow, the green thumb, that seems to run in our family, missed me. I  just don't seem to grow plants. The plants that I've tried to "garden" either don't grow at all, or die before it is time for them to produce. Even non-produce plants don't survive in my care. There have been several times, over the years, that a thoughtful person has given me a plant. Every time, I take it graciously, all the while thinking - "Oh, poor plant, it doesn't know what it's in for." It will suffer along for a while, then eventually shrivels up. I have one plant at the office. If it wasn't for my wonderful co-worker, it would have been tossed ages ago.

So, for many years, I just bought produce, like many others, at the store. Now, I am probably one of the most produce picky people out there. Maybe, it's from growing up with such wonderful fruits and veggies readily available. I'm not sure. But, I am one of those people you see in the produce section, inspecting every tomato before putting it in the bag, and searching through the bananas to find the "just right" ones.

Four years ago, my sister-in-law was so kind to tell me about this wonderful co-op that she participates in every week. It sounded so great to get a variety of produce for a fraction of what it costs in the store, and so much better quality. I was super excited. Then, upon investigation, there was no branch of the co-op in Oklahoma. Thanks for getting my hopes up. What a bummer!
Then, just a couple short months later, she called me again. There was a site that opened up a little over an hour away. Whoo Hoo! I participated at the first chance I got, and was hooked on that very first experience. I began training right away, and was the second site in Oklahoma to open up. I've been enjoying our site here in Clinton for almost three years now. It is such a blessing to fill my kids with such a variety of good produce. We enjoy the experimenting with trying new recipes and new ideas with common items, and the search for suggestions on the rarity of something new that we've not had before. I've discovered that my favorite fruit is persimmons, something I had never had before the co-op. And, it is still amazing to me that my oldest asks every time I come home with our haul if we got spinach to make green pancakes. What kid does that? Apparently, mine!

The best thing about our experience over the last three years, by far, has been the wonderful people that I have met! From that first experience with the coordinator in Altus, to our awesome volunteers and participants here in Clinton, I love you all! We have a great time socializing over fruits and veggies every other Saturday, and I wouldn't trade it!! **A huge thank you to all my awesome volunteers, whom I couldn't live without!! I appreciate you SO much!!**

As I prep for another basket weekend, I am like a little kid on Christmas morning. The excitement of the surprises of what we are going to get, what friends I will get to see, and what new friends I will make, makes my heart happy. And, the look on the kids' faces when I get home, is priceless. Thank you, Bountiful Baskets, for helping this black thumbed mom bring affordable, wonderful, healthy produce to our table!

For more information on Bountiful Baskets, to participate, or to find a location near you, please visit: www.bountifulbaskets.org

No comments:

Post a Comment