Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Career Changes - Part 1

The first update, of the many to come, is about my personal journey over the last year and a half, mostly focusing on my professional journey.

At the beginning of 2011, Adam and I started discussing the possibility of starting a new business and me opening a daycare. The more I researched about this idea, the more I realized that this was a much bigger project than first anticipated.
During the research process, I needed to make a decision. If you were following my blog last year, you know the options were to run a daycare out of my home for a couple years or return to school and take the classes needed to get a directors credential to open a center within a year. After many discussions with Adam, who by the way was little help as his response was "whatever you want to do," and MANY nights spent on my knees, the decision was made to return to school.
With three children, this was a lot easier said than done. After only suffering through one semester, I bow down to the moms that are also full time students. WOW! Between my classes, the boys school, someone watching the younger two (a HUGE shout out to Breanne who watched Beth and Zack everyday for me! THANK YOU!), soccer, homework, prepping the soon-to-be daycare, and trying to keep up with home duties, August thru December was a blur. I look back on it and feel so neglectful as a mom. But, I can also look back and realize that it was a necessary sacrifice.

In January, we had driven by a vacant building, and had made comments on how perfect of a location and set up it would be for a daycare. All spring and summer, I had kept an eye on it and it had never rented. In November, we signed a lease to rent the building and I set to work cleaning and moving stuff in. I am so grateful for all the donations and time and effort from everyone that helped pull it together. I, along with many others, spent countless hours arranging and rearranging toys, wall decorations, and furniture.
After many obstacles, a lot of paperwork, and rescheduling our opening date twice, we finally opened on Valentines Day in February. We started with 9 wonderful children, and by the first of April, we were maxed out on capacity at 19. I very quickly fell in love with our students, and grew very attached very fast.
However, the 13-14 hour days were wearing on me. I had a very hard time finding good help. That was one obstacle that I hadn't anticipated. It was very challenging to find both full time and substitute teachers. The student drama, the endless paperwork, the DHS regulations - - I could deal with all that. But, with 19 students, I couldn't run the whole show alone. I finally did get teachers hired, but saying I had "good" help, was a great stretch. I did have one GREAT teacher, and I found myself relying a lot on her. I don't think I could have made it without her. In fact, I know I couldn't have!

No comments:

Post a Comment